According to the Greek Ministerial Decision 12889/2020 (Official Gazette 1086 Β/30-3-2020), the validity period of residence permits, residence cards and permanent residence cards will be extended.
Specifically, for issued residence permits and cards:
- Residence permits, issued pursuant to the Greek Immigration Law (4251/2014) with expiry date between 11 February 2020 and12 May 2020 may be renewed automatically for up to five (5) months from their respective expiry date, but no later than 12 October 2020 without the need to issue a relevant decision of renewal.
- The certificates (“blue attestations”) issued in accordance with the Greek Law 4251/2014, which expired prior to 12 March and which were to be renewed, and those expiring during the period from 13 March 2020 to 12 May 2020, shall be renewed for up to five (5) months following the respective date on which they expire, but no later than 12 October 2020 without the need to issue a relevant certificate or attestation.
- For the period from the date that marks the end of third-country nationals’ entitlement to stay and until the date that the application for renewal is submitted, the above residence titles are considered to be ex officio extended. The validity of the above described residence titles begins on the day following their expiry date.
For new residence permit applications:
- Third-country nationals who should, during the period from 12 March 2020 to 10 April 2020, submit an application for initial granting of a residence permit, are entitled to submit the relevant application no later than 10 May 2020.
- Moreover, the Greek Joint Ministerial Decision 12687/2020 (Official Gazette 939B/20-3-2020) regulates the suspension of the operation of the competent services for the reception of third country nationals for the period from Thursday 12 March 2020 until Friday 10 April 2020, for both Decentralized Administrations and the Directorate for Migration Policy of the Ministry for Migration and Asylum.
Digitalization of the Greek public sector accelerated due to the Covid-19 spread1
- An electronic platform unifying all public sector digital services was recently launched in Greece and is available at https://www.gov.gr/. The digital transformation of the public administration has been a long-awaited project, however, its commencement had to be accelerated in order to facilitate citizens’ access to public services, especially after the imposition of movement restrictions in Greece. Citizens may now access the relevant services using their Taxisnet credentials and will be able to carry out official transactions with the public administration through a digital signing service. The electronic platform currently offers more than 500 online services, categorized into 11 distinct domains, among which the following:
- Citizens’ everyday transactions (solemn declarations, authorizations and services addressed to third-country nationals);
- Property and taxation;
- Health and welfare (e-prescription and hospital services);
- Justice (issuance of documents).
All issued documents and procedures completed through Gov.gr shall be accepted by all public sector departments. At the same time, new service lines are expected to be added in the near future, aiming at making gov.gr a central point for all digital services of the Greek public sector.
- DigitalSolidarityGR (can be accessed via this link) is another initiative of the Ministry of Digital Governance launched as a result of the spread of Covid-19, aiming to provide citizens with access to the useful digital tools concerning teleworking, distance learning and entertainment, provided for free or at low cost from private and public institutions and enterprises. The platform currently offers access to over 130 services.
For further information or details please contact Maria Sarantopoulou, Chief Tax and Legal Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eurofast is a regional business advisory organisation employing local advisers in over 23 cities in South East Europe & Middle East (SEEME). The Organisation is uniquely positioned as one stop shop for investors and companies looking for professional services in South East Europe & Middle East.
Chief Tax & Legal Advisor