Egypt | March 2016 |
Mandatory GOEIC Registration for importing products
Egypt’s Ministry of Trade and Industry issued Decree 43/2016 amending the rules affecting the registration of factories qualified to export listed products to Egypt.
The new decree requires factories and companies who own trademarks in Egypt, to register their trademarks with the General Organization for Export & Import Control (“GOEIC”).
Accordingly, products imported for trading may not be released in the market unless they are produced by factories recorded in that register, or imported by companies who are owners of trademarks, or by their registered distribution agents in that register.
Procedure of registration
In order to import into Egypt, a registration of the producing factory / company or the trademark is required. The required documents depend on the registration type.
A. Registration of a factory
The registration application shall be submitted by the legal representative of the factory or an authorized deputy, supported by the following certified documents:
• Certificate of the legal entity of the factory and the license issued for the factory.
• List of items produced by the factory and their trademarks.
• The trademark of the product and the trademarks produced by means of a license from the owner thereof.
• Certificate proving that the factory applies a quality control system; such certificate shall be issued by an entity recognized by the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) or by the International Accreditation Forum (IAF), or an Egyptian or foreign governmental entity approved by the Minister.
B. Registration of a trademark or a brand
The registration application shall be submitted by the legal representative of the company, which owns the trademark or an authorized deputy, supported by the following certified documents:
• Certificate proving that the trademark is registered and the items produced under this trademark.
• Certificate from the company, which owns the trademark listing the distribution centers which are licensed to supply the items with this trademark.
• Certificate proving that the company which owns the trademark applies a quality control system, such certificate shall be issued by an entity recognized by the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC) or by the International Accreditation Forum (IAF), or an Egyptian or foreign governmental entity approved by the Minister.
In both cases, if any doubts arise in relation to the correctness of the submitted documents, registration won’t be performed unless they are verified. Upon request of the applicant, it may be allowed to inspect the company or the factory to verify the correctness of the documents after the approval of the Minister of Trade and Industry.
Below is the list of products for which registration is required:
• Milk and milk products for retail sale in packages of 2 kg or less.
• Preserved and dried fruits for retail sale in packages of 2 kg or less.
• Oils and fats for retail sale in packages of 2 kg or less.
• Chocolate and food products containing cocoa for retail sale in packages of 2 kg or less.
• Sugar confectioneries.
• Pastries and food preparations of cereals, bread and bakery products.
• Fruit juices for retail sale in packages of 10 kg or less.
• Natural, mineral and carbonated water.
• Make-up cosmetics, oral and dental care products, deodorants, toiletries and perfume preparations.
• Soap and surfactants intended for use as soap, for retail sale.
• Floor coverings.
• Bath tubs, sinks, washbasins, toilets, toilet seats and covers thereof.
• Toilet paper, cosmetic paper, diapers, and towels.
• Tableware, cutlery and kitchenware.
• Table glassware.
• Reinforced iron.
• Household appliances (stoves, fryers, air-conditioners, fans, washing machines, blenders, heaters).
• Home and office furniture.
• Regular bicycles, motorbikes, motorized bikes.
• Lighting devices for home use.
• Textiles, clothing, furnishing, carpets, blankets and footwear except PPE and medical use clothes.
Through our office in Cairo, Eurofast Global is ready to provide assistance to our clients throughout the registration process and related procedures. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.